Appli installer blocked by windows defender

JPapplis

Programming Experience
10+
Hi,
I have a new appli developed in C# under visual studio.
It works fine but Windows Defender refuses downloading the appli installer.
What should be done with Microsoft to solve this problem ?

What is "appli installer"?

My appli is named MesComptes and the application installer named MesComptesInstall.exe is the program to be downloaded which contains all the files of the application to be installed in the appropriate folders to allow it being executed as MesComptes.exe

Thanks for your answer

I'm going to assume that "appli" is French for "application".

Why would you need to download the MesComptesInstall.exe if you already built it on your own machine? It would already be a file on your filesystem and all you would need to do is to double click on it to run it.

What did you use to create the MesComptesInstall.exe?

It is quite possible that Windows Defender is blocking the download if it is detecting a bit pattern in your installer that looks like a known virus or malware. You should report this as a false positive to Microsoft if you are sure that your MesComptes.exe and its associated dependencies are virus/malware free, and that you have not been affected by a supply chain attack where malware might have been included into your application via its dependencies, or into the installer.

I'm going to assume that "appli" is French for "application".

Why would you need to download the MesComptesInstall.exe if you already built it on your own machine? It would already be a file on your filesystem and all you would need to do is to double click on it to run it.

What did you use to create the MesComptesInstall.exe?

It is quite possible that Windows Defender is blocking the download if it is detecting a bit pattern in your installer that looks like a known virus or malware. You should report this as a false positive to Microsoft if you are sure that your MesComptes.exe and its associated dependencies are virus/malware free, and that you have not been affected by a supply chain attack where malware might have been included into your application via its dependencies, or into the installer.

This application is on line on the site MesComptes and is designed be downloaded and installed through a 'program installer' which is the current practice for all applications distributed on the internet.
The site has a large number of visitors who cannot download the appli (I use this as a short to 'application') because of Windows Defender.
Due to this problem, I have installed an alternative method through a zip file but this is not satisfactory as no guarantee is given to the users about the safety of this program.

The application is absolutely safe and Windows Defender cannot detect any virus. Its only concern is that this program is new and unknown and the purpose of my question is how can I cope with Microsoft policy regarding new unknown applications. I could not find anything on the subject in the heap of Microsoft documentation and the Microsoft support team was ineffective.

Most professional applications will code sign their installer as well as the various binaries of their application. If you recall the AuthentiCode from the Windows XP days, that is exactly what code signing is. Windows Defender should trust your installer if it is code signed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom