• Hello and welcome to our new forums. We upgraded our forum sites to a more robust and modern system which we hope you will enjoy. Be sure to check out your profile by clicking the button on the top right and configure your preferences, signature, time zone, avatar, etc. as you wish. If you need help with using this new forum'ware try the help link on the bottom right.

Click here to review your account now.

Where should I store my encryption keys?

DoJa

Programming Experience
1-3
What is current best practice regarding implementing encryption within a c# program and can anyone recommend some good articles/tutorials/examples?

Basically I want to create an application which makes use of encryption (using standard .net libraries) for internal security features. It will not be used for user accounts/logins but instead for reading an encrypted licence file to verify it is being used on an authorised machine.

If I were to include the key within the code would this be an acceptable implementation or would it be too easy for someone with the right know-how to decompile the program and extract the key? If this is not the best way to do it, what is the alternative which doesn't rely on a user entering a key/password?

Top Bottom