• Hello and welcome to our new forums. We upgraded our forum sites to a more robust and modern system which we hope you will enjoy. Be sure to check out your profile by clicking the button on the top right and configure your preferences, signature, time zone, avatar, etc. as you wish. If you need help with using this new forum'ware try the help link on the bottom right.

Click here to review your account now.

Web API Consumption

hversemann

Programming Experience
3-5
I'm building a new web application tool that is supposed to send requests to an API and then bring the responses in JSON format.

I believe I'm formatting the request properly, but I keep getting 404 responses like this:

StatusCode: 404, ReasonPhrase: 'Not Found', Version: 1.1, Content: System.Net.Http.StreamContent, Headers:
{
Pragma: no-cache
X-Canvas-Meta: q=1439;b=1168336;m=1168336;u=0.01;y=0.00;d=0.02;a=1;g=3H40hCeLpWpYU3TZwdT7ZhvrXSzOThpcEQF0SnIx;s=1689;c=cluster30;z=us-east-1b;
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
X-Request-Context-Id: 99a4fb51-88ef-4479-a5ef-a8b4fc807bbe
X-Request-Processor: 097790bc5a35e7ba0
X-Runtime: 0.080932
X-Session-Id: caa61c18d60a07f93162e461f4ef3ecd
X-UA-Compatible: IE=Edge,chrome=1
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: no-store, must-revalidate, no-cache, max-age=0
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:14:00 GMT
P3P: CP="None, see .......
Server: Apache
Content-Length: 17755
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
}

and so far have not been able to figure this out.
my original GET request looks like this:

http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.instructure.com/v1/accounts/{account id}/terms?access_token={token value}

To me I think the way the request above seems to be formatted seems to be right, and does appear to match a valid request on the api.

I'm still looking but haven't found anything helpful yet on this, so I would appreciate any help offered.

Thanks.

Henry

hversemann

Programming Experience
3-5
I think the problem I'm having is because I'm not sending the "content-type" header, and its defaulting to "text/html; charset=utf-8", when it should be set to "application/json; utf-8".
I'm trying to use the HttpClient with the GetStringAsync(<url here>) method, but I haven't found any good complete or working example yet of how to set the content-type header for the response that I expect back.

Would appreciate any help in finding a working example that I can use with C# (2013), Visual Studio Ultimate 2013, ASP.Net Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2 (4.1.21001.0), and ASP.Net Web Frameworks and Tools 2013 (5.0.11001.0) as I've had no luck so far trying different examples which I have found and am continuing to look for.

Thanks for the help.

Henry

Brent

Programming Experience
10+
I believe DefaultRequestHeaders is what you are looking for...
csharp:
private static HttpClient Client;
public async Task<MyObj> PostData()
{
    Client = new HttpClient(new HttpClientHandler() { UseDefaultCredentials = true });
    // Clear headers and add a new MediaTypeWithQualityHeaderValue
    Client.DefaultRequestHeaders.Accept.Clear();
    Client.DefaultRequestHeaders.Accept.Add(new MediaTypeWithQualityHeaderValue("application/json"));

//...
}
Hope this points you in the right direction!

Top Bottom