UWP Submission Crashes because App needs dependent files

Designomics

Programming Experience
10+
I have created an App, which works well under Windows 10, but has been submitted as an appxupload package to Microsoft (using Visual Studio 2017 -- I've also tried VS 2019). They have sent back a report saying that the App crashes immediately when run. Although they don't specify anything further, I'm sure that the problem lies in the fact that the App requires several dependent files to be present in the same location as the EXE file when first run. I've included the files in the Visual Studio Project; and the App runs perfectly on many test machines as long as all the files are included in the same folder as the EXE file. And I'm sure when the appx package arrives at Microsoft, it's not able to see these dependent files; hence it crashes. But there's no path provided for me to get any further feedback or help from Microsoft; they simply point to various forums where I might obtain further help. Any ideas?
Mike the despondent

I'm sure that the problem lies in the fact that the App requires several dependent files to be present in the same location as the EXE file when first run. I've included the files in the Visual Studio Project; and the App runs perfectly on many test machines as long as all the files are included in the same folder as the EXE file. And I'm sure when the appx package arrives at Microsoft, it's not able to see these dependent files; hence it crashes.
So why not include those dependent files into the APPX?

Yes, I've been looking at that method. I think the help on this is pretty sketchy, I came across a Microsoft doc that included instructions on opening the AppXManifest in an XML editor, changing the appid, then adding lines in the Dependencies section for each external file, then saving the manifest with a new name. However, there are no instructions on how to include this new file in the AppX.

Can you link to the documentation that you are reading?

Thanks, Skydiver, the page with this (red herring, I think) info was Optional packages and related sets - MSIX -- but I missed out a step I learned at the beginner's stage . . . . . when the external files that the app relies on have been added to the project window, they each need to have the 'Copy Always' attribute set !!! What a numpty! I'm now waiting on my third attempt at publishing this app.

Back
Top Bottom