Do people use VS professional?

greyhound

Programming Experience
10+
I recently wanted to try out the popular ai assisted code extensions such as copilot and tabnine.
Both of these don't work on VS Professional. Copilot specifically said it needs vs community, tabnine I just got some obscure error when trying to install.

My question is: normally I would have expected a paid, higher cost product like visual studio professional to be better then the free visual studio community. However when googling this issue, I could not find a single person talking about Visual studio professional and copilot. Does everybody use community? Even in corporate work? Are we supposed to switch to vs code for everything now?
Thanks for any feedback.

I used it up to 2019, then realized I was too noob, and should switch to community for 2022

Does everybody use community?
Not everybody; people in teams of a certain size need to use pro or above in order to be compliant with licensing terms
Even in corporate work?
No
Are we supposed to switch to vs code for everything now?
It's a different product. The only similarity it has to VS is "VS"

I only see "GitHub CoPilot", and it seems to say it needs a specific version is only a Trial version:
1691770639984.png

Going to the more information link it says this:
GitHub Copilot requires Visual Studio 2022 17.5.5 or newer. For Visual Studio 2022 version 17.4.4 to 17.5.4, use extension version 1.84.0.1.

GitHub Copilot requires a subscription. It is free for verified students and maintainers of popular open source projects on GitHub.

Seems to have installed without issues:
1691771089678.png

1691771173702.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom