cshtml vs aspx

SQLDude

Programming Experience
10+
I'm not sure if this is the complete problem but I've created an MVC application in C#. I'm following a tutorial step-by-step but when they create a View in the tutorial it creates and .aspx file with reference to a master file. When I try to do it, by default I get a CSHTML file. When I try to run the code I get an error message that the content is only allowed on pages the reference a Master file.
I tried again and changed the View Engine to ASPX (C#) and it automatically checks the box for Use a layout or master page and has the Site.Master page referenced below but when I click on Add I get the message that the Master page name does not exist.
Really appreciate any help understanding how to make this work or reference to any tutorial which correctly shows how to create and MVC application. All of the ones I can find seem to be out-dated or missing some vital piece of information so I've been 4 days now trying to build the most simple MVC app to display a web page and still unsuccessful.

Back
Top Bottom