Cross application data access

KKW

Programming Experience
10+
Hi All,

I have a program written in VB6. We are still working on it, but we need to move into the .Net environment with it.
The first piece I want to deal with is getting the collected data into some globally accessible system/format.

I have to maintain the current program (in VB6) and gradually incorporate C# programming - replacing the VB6 functionality.
It is my intention that the VB6 program will deposit the collected data into a data base such as SQL.
By doing this, then The new programs written in C# would have access to this data.

I've heard of MSQT but don't really know which is the best way to go.
Can someone give some recommendations please?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have no idea what MSQT might be. If you're asking which database to use then it really depends on you. How much data you have and what tools you might already have access to could be big factors in the decision. SQL Server from Microsoft is a good option. The Express edition is free and can handle databases up to 10GB. It's also easy to migrate to a paid-for edition if you need to. Any edition of SQL Server plays nice with .NET development, although there are .NET tools for a number of databases these days and you can connect to many more in code. MySQL is probably the other main contender if you are starting from scratch and want something big. It's free for any sized database but is probably not quite as easy to manage as SQL Server. It does provide .NET tools as well.

Back
Top Bottom